Friday, July 11, 2008

A Big Adventure in Tanzania...(dad holds down the fort)


Eva, Emilio and I returned from Tanzania day before yesterday. We had a really big adventure. The beloved Bordens (of Wild Hope fame), my dear friends from college days in Santa Barbara, opened their home to us and showed us a grand time. We experienced their East African life for just a spell, and came to love the Masai land they call home.

This is a much bigger story, of course. The real point here is that while we were off galavanting around the globe, dad was here, alone in the house and in charge of making sure that all ran smoothly. I think he felt a little abandoned, and I'm afraid that with the thrill of preparing to depart, I didn't look forward to anticipate how he would adjust to being alone.

Ten years ago he would have been less lonely. Now (he's 85 today), he has fears about leaving the house. I admit that I wasn't prepared for this. Dear Kelly stepped in (he wasn't prepared either) and helped dad through these past three weeks. They took road trips and dined together and K. called dad each day, just to check in.

Two other dear friends here offered to share meals with dad. It takes a village. I am grateful.

But I still have to figure out how to get dad out and about more...my big task for the month of July.

All in all, dad did a great job of feeding the pets and cleaning the litter boxes and sweeping the floors and keeping the house lived in and loved. And I'm sure he spent just a few quiet moments thinking of his own Africa days, in the northern reaches of the continent, when he and mom met while teaching and travelled the land together.

It's a big place, that Africa. Glad we've both been able to experience just a wee bit of it.

2 comments:

lisa said...

Happy Birthday, Stan!!

With love from Africa,
lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana,
I was at Westmont when you were there. I'm not sure if we had classes together-but we most likely crossed paths!
I'm so glad you got to visit with Lisa and Byron.
Blessings,
Dore'